The U.S. and Iran stuck to opposing stances on Thursday over Tehran's uranium stockpile and controls on the Strait of Hormuz, despite some signs of diplomatic progress.
U.S. President Donald Trump said the U.S. will eventually recover Iran's stockpile of highly enriched uranium, which Washington believes is destined for a nuclear weapon.
Trump's comments came after U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio stated that there had been 'some good signs' in talks, but added that a diplomatic solution would be unfeasible if Tehran implemented a tolling system in the Strait of Hormuz.
A senior Iranian source told Reuters on Thursday that no deal has been reached, but gaps have been narrowed, adding that Iran's uranium enrichment and control over the Strait of Hormuz remain among the sticking points.
The volatile trading session on Thursday saw oil prices whipsawed, moving lower on uncertain prospects for a resolution of the war.
Two senior Iranian sources told Reuters before Trump's comments that Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Mojtaba Khamenei has issued a directive that the uranium should not be sent abroad.
Trump also railed against Tehran's intentions to charge fees for use of the strait, where a fifth of the world's oil and natural gas transited before the war.
The lack of progress in talks highlights the need for careful consideration of all parties' concerns and a willingness to engage in meaningful dialogue.
The lack of progress in talks highlights the complexity of the issue and the need for careful consideration of all parties' concerns.
